Burley in Wharfedale Dementia Action Group
Meeting Minutes 22 June 2017
1. Present Quentin Fowler (Chair), Niccola Swan (Treasurer), Susan Collins (Secretary + Minutes), Eileen Fowler, Val and Ken McKenzie, Judith Sayer
A special welcome to Paula Truman, Ward Officer for Wharfedale and Dementia Champion, Mary Macpherson and Gerry Barker Ward Councillor, all attending for the first time.
2. Apologies Sylvia Bergin, Wendy Carpenter, Bernadette Brearton, Sue Jopling
3. Minutes of meeting 25 May Accepted
4. Matters Arising
It was noted that most of the dementia – related courses offered by The School of Dementia Studies at Bradford University are at graduate and post graduate level. Occasional open talks of interest to BDAG are advertised via the Alzheimer’s Society.
5. Events and Visits since last meeting
a) Visits to Memory Clubs – Now that volunteers are committing to TMT@Burley, time is limited but visits to established Clubs are still encouraged as there is much to be gained from shared experience. Elizabeth and Bob have emphasised that each Club is different, especially in terms of the dynamics.
b) 6 June, Dementia Friendly performance of Kiss Me, Kate at Ilkley Playhouse –Some of our members attended this very successful event. There have been lots of favourable comments. The Playhouse is considering similar relaxed performances, maybe twice a year.
6. Forthcoming Events and Dates
a) Information sessions for businesses and organisations – Bernadette will meet Ian Orton, Parish Clerk on 28 June to arrange 3 sessions (2 day time, 1 evening) for the Parish Council and Library Volunteers. Action: Bernadette. Subject to confirmation, Sylvia will be going to Burley Oaks School on 5 July and will follow up Niccola’s contact re. DofE. Action: Sylvia. It was noted that to date, responses from local businesses have been minimal but that this is not unusual. Paula reported a similar response in Shipley, and Mary in Sedbergh. We must keep plugging away! Sylvia will approach the Co-op, an obvious target in the village that could have a positive knock-on effect. Action: Sylvia
b) Burley Summer Festival – 2 Information Sessions confirmed: Mon.21/8 2-3pm and Thurs. 24/8 7-8pm, both at the Parish Centre and 25 places available at each. Action: All to promote these open sessions. Sylvia to lead, other volunteers to help as necessary – please liaise with Sylvia.
c) Coffee Morning Sat 30 Sept.- We have already had offers of a Tombola and a donation of novelty balloons to sell. Attracting the wider community will help our fundraising – ideas welcome. Action: ALL save the date! Susan and Niccola to investigate potential face painters.
7. Implementation of Action Plan
a) Memory Tree – The first 3 sessions have gone well, attracting 5,6,7 couples respectively. In total 11 different couples have attended and all have expressed their intention to return. Owing to other commitments, some plan to come once a month, rather than every meeting. In time, we expect numbers to level out – ideal maximum per session being 12 couples.
In addition to Elizabeth and Bob, there were 7 volunteers at the 1st, then 5 at subsequent sessions. In order to ensure a supportive and safe environment, it was noted that we need to have at least 5 volunteers, in addition to the leaders, at each. A rota is in place. More people have expressed an interest in volunteering and have been invited to come along to see what is involved.
For the time being, reminiscence activities are being led by Bob. A brief record of each session is being compiled for future reference.
Other documentation such as registers, registration forms, emergency contacts and safeguarding issues are progressing. Song books are being printed. With permission, Elizabeth has started to take photographs of people with dementia for our records and is offering their carers a laminated photo card that can be used to explain the situation in circumstances where that may be helpful.
The role of the Carers’ Group was discussed. Currently led by Elizabeth, at this early stage the aim is to establish what kind of support each carer is looking for. It has become apparent that not everyone is fully aware of what various outside agencies can offer and we are very fortunate to be able to access Elizabeth’s expert knowledge and experience. The next few meetings will focus on the huge range of available resources, as well as providing an opportunity for carers to share their own experience.
b) Check-lists of local businesses/organisations – Val and Ken are working on this as time allows. Action: Val and Ken to liaise with Sylvia and to continue to explore the potential for painting white lines on steps.
8. Treasurers Report
a) The Treasurer reported that we had £1,222 in the bank but this will quickly diminish with the TMT costs of c.£132 for each session whilst we have the benefit of both Elizabeth and Bob. Various expenses relating to BDAG and the setting up of TMT are still to be claimed.
One member who wishes to remain anonymous has generously set up a monthly standing order as a donation towards TMT costs. If anyone else would like to do this, the bank details are: Barclays; sort code 20-45-45; account number 20479853. Thank you to Churches Together for the £25 donation from the vintage tea party.
b) Fundraising – Hobbycraft has been approached by Wendy – they are unable to help us. Grant applications in progress Action: Susan to apply to Burley and Menston Civil Charities (by 2 July), Niccola to apply to Burley Parish Council and the Community Trust. Other potential funding applications include the Co-op, Tesco, WH Smith and Waitrose.
a) Dementia Friendly Menston advertised 4 Information Sessions, aimed primarily at businesses during June/July. Paula was able to report that the 1st was cancelled, owing to low response. 7, maybe 9 attended the 2nd and the others are still to take place.
b) Salem URC has nominated The Memory Tree @ Burley as their charity of the year. This is great news and much appreciated.
c) A note of congratulations to BDAG for launching The Memory Tree from Lucy Maddison.
d) After attending our open event on May 21, an appreciative email from relatives of a local person with dementia.
e) An invitation to the dress rehearsal of Year 5/6 production of ‘School of Rock’ at Burley & Woodhead School, Friday 14 July, 9.30am.
f) Whitaker Firth Solicitors, Guiseley – Open Evening to celebrate 5 years, 13 July, from 6pm – Burley Dementia Friends invited.
g) Walker Foster Solicitors – a voice mail message responding to our piece about The Memory Tree in the Ilkley Gazette. They are very active Dementia Friends and are offering to help us address concerns or legal matters relating to dementia. They emphasised that this approach to BDAG is in no way an attempt to sell any of their services.
It was agreed that potentially this may be a useful contact and possibly something to consider as part of a future open meeting. Action: Susan to follow up.
a) We were pleased that the Ilkley Gazette accepted Niccola’s piece about the Memory Tree (1/6/17) but we noted that in future we must ask that the editorial team does not refer to people with dementia as “dementia sufferers”.
b) To date, our website has had 1222 hits this year.
c) Our Facebook page is up and running – potentially a powerful tool; currently 42 followers.
d) We agreed that we should follow up on previous discussion and aim to produce an electronic Newsletter, maybe twice a year.
a) Mary referred to memory bags/boxes available from Cumbria Libraries. It was highlighted that Bradford Local Studies Library offers a similar service and this may be a useful resource for TMT. Although aware of this, we have yet to follow up. Action: Susan
b) Paula checked that we are all aware of Alzheimer’s Society’s new publications e.g. ‘Side by Side’ (copies in our resource file).
c) A small but welcome amount of storage space has been acquired at the Parish Centre – in the walk in cupboard opposite the kitchen upstairs. We are asked not to exceed our allocated shelf space!
12. Date of Next Meeting – Thursday 24 August, 2pm, Parish Centre
N.B. Thursday 27 July 2017 meeting is CANCELLED because several members are unable to attend. Apologies for any inconvenience.